Summary of Degree Requirements

The College of Letters and Science awards the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree. To earn the B.A., you must successfully complete 120 units minimum of course work and satisfy all requirements for the degree. The course requirements are designed to ensure that you acquire the background and the breadth you need for further learning and that you explore one subject in depth, your major.

University Requirements

Berkeley Campus Requirements

L&S Requirements

(May be met by IGETC or UC Reciprocity for transfer students)

Major Requirements

Review Major Requirements and Declaring a Major. Consult an undergraduate major adviser (UMA) in your major department, Berkeley Academic Guide and departmental handbooks and web sites.

Unit Requirements

  • 120 total semester units. This includes transfer credit admitted to the Berkeley record and advanced high school units admitted to your college record.
  • Of the 120 total, 60 units in L&S courses. This includes courses offered by L&S and courses offered outside L&S that are included in any L&S major program or approved for credit for an L&S breadth requirement.
  • Of the 120 total, 36 units in upper division courses (numbered 100-199).
  • Of the 36 upper division units, 6 units of course work outside your major department. Units earned in cross-listed courses (indicated by a ā€œCā€ prefix) for which your major department is one of the sponsors are not applicable.

Residence Requirements

For units to be considered in "residence," you must be registered in courses on the Berkeley campus as a student in the College of Letters and Science. Most students automatically fulfill the residence requirement by attending classes here for four years. In general, there is no need to be concerned about this requirement, unless you go abroad for a semester or year or want to take courses at another institution or through UC Extension during your senior year. In these cases, you should make an appointment to meet a College Adviser to determine how you can meet the Senior Residence Requirement.

Note: Courses taken through UC Extension do not count toward residence.

Senior Residence Requirement

  • After you become a senior (with 90 semester units earned toward your B.A. degree), you must complete at least 24 of the remaining 30 units in residence in at least two semesters. To count as residence, a semester must consist of at least 6 passed units. Intercampus Visitor, EAP, and UC Berkeley-Washington Program (UCDC) units are excluded.
  • You may use a Berkeley Summer Session to satisfy one semester of the Senior Residence Requirement, provided that you successfully complete 6 units of course work in the Summer Session and that you have been enrolled previously in the College.

Modified Senior Residence Requirement

  • Participants in the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) or the UC Berkeley-Washington Program (UCDC) may meet a Modified Senior Residence Requirement by completing 24 (excluding EAP or UC Extension) of their final 60 semester units in residence. At least 12 of these 24 units must be completed after you have completed 90 units.

Upper Division Residence Requirement

  • You must complete in residence a minimum of 18 units of upper division courses (excluding EAP units), 12 of which must satisfy the requirements for your major.

Residence in the Major

  • Of the 18 upper division units required for College Residence, 12 must be earned in courses that satisfy requirements for the major.