Reading & Composition
In order to provide a solid foundation in reading, writing and critical thinking for work in the major, the College requires two semesters of lower division work in composition - R&C A and B. Students must complete a first-level reading and composition course (e.g., Com Lit R1A) by the end of their second semester and a second-level course (e.g., Rhetoric R1B) by the end of their fourth semester. All undergraduates must complete the Reading and Composition (R&C) requirement by the end of their fourth semester, or their enrollment will be blocked for the following semester. The R&C requirement can be satisfied by any of the courses listed with an "R" before its course number in the online Schedule of Classes. Over 20 departments offer R&C courses so be sure to review the wide range of course choices.
Guidelines for Reading and Composition Courses
- R&C courses should be completed in the freshman year or, at the latest, by the end of sophomore year.
- A letter grade of C- or better is required.
- Students who have been admitted to Berkeley and have not completed Entry Level Writing, must enroll in College Writing R1A to satisfy the first semester of the requirement.
- With the exception of L&S R44 (see R&C list of courses), courses fulfilling the Reading and Composition requirement may not be applied to other College breadth requirements.
Satisfying the Reading and Composition Requirement with High School Work
- Advanced Placement Exam in English Literature and Composition - score of 4 satisfies first semester, score of 5 satisfies both semesters.
- Advanced Placement Exam in English Language and Composition - score of 4 or 5 satisfies first semester.
- International Baccalaureate Higher Level Examination in English Language A1 or A2 credential examination - score of 5, 6 or 7 satisfies both semesters.
- A-level English Exam - grade of A, B or C satisfies both semesters.
Satisfying the Reading and Composition Requirement at Berkeley
- Successful completion with a C- grade or better of a sequence of two designated Reading and Composition courses. See all approved Reading and Composition courses or check for available R&C courses with the R&C Search Engine.
Satisfying the Reading and Composition Requirement with Transfer Work
- Transfer courses must be taken on a letter-graded basis and be completed with a grade of C- or better. At schools where an equivalent articulated course is offered only on a Passed/Not Passed basis, a Passed grade will be accepted in fulfillment of the requirement.
- For courses from California community colleges, see ASSIST. Note: IGETC certification from a California community college or a letter of reciprocity from a UC campus satisfies the Reading and Composition requirement (and all other L&S breadth requirements).
- For courses from CSUs or UCs, please contact the Evaluation Unit at 510-642-7391.
- For courses from all remaining institutions, submit a Reading and Composition Questionnaire, filled out by the institution you attended.