Seven Course Breadth Requirement
The Seven Course Breadth requirement is the foundation of the liberal arts program in Letters and Science, providing a rich and varied educational experience outside of the major program. To fulfill the requirement, choose one course from each of the following categories.
- Arts and Literature
- Biological Science
- Historical Studies
- International Studies
- Philosophy and Values
- Physical Science
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
Guidelines for Seven Course Breadth
- No course may be used to fulfill more than one breadth category.
- Breadth courses may be taken for a letter grade (C- or better required) or on a Passed/Not Passed basis.
- Through summer 2015, breadth courses must be at least two units in value (only 2-unit courses currently appearing on the breadth list apply). Beginning fall 2015, breadth courses must be at least three units in value.
- No more than two courses from any one academic department may be used to satisfy breadth requirements (L&S Discovery Courses exempt).
- Courses fulfilling American History & Institutions, American Cultures or requirements in the major program may also be applied to the Seven Course Breadth requirement.
- The following cannot be applied to the Seven Course breadth:
- Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate exams can not be used to fulfill breadth requirements. An exception is the GCE (General Certificate of Education) exams. A score of A, B or C on the Advanced level Chemistry or Physics exams will satisfy the Physical Science breadth requirement.
- Courses numbered 84*, 97, 98, 99, and those above 190
- Courses fulfilling the Reading and Composition, Quantitative Reasoning, or Foreign Language requirements
* Courses numbered 84 offered prior to spring 2012 may be eligible for breadth credit. Visit http://fss.berkeley.edu/breadth84note.html for a list of these courses.
Satisfying the Seven Course Breadth Requirement at Berkeley
- Successful completion with a letter grade of C- or better or a Passed grade in any approved course. See all approved courses on the L&S Breadth Lists or check for available courses with the L&S Breadth Search Engine.
Satisfying the Seven Course Breadth Requirement with Transfer Work
- For courses from California community colleges, see ASSIST. Note: IGETC certification from a California community college or a letter of reciprocity from a UC campus satisfies the Seven Course Breadth requirement (and all other L&S breadth requirements).
- Successful completion (with a letter grade of C- or better or a Passed grade) of equivalent transferable courses at an accredited college will satisfy the requirement.
- For courses from other institutions, check with the L&S Evaluation Unit at (510) 642-7391. (Course descriptions and syllabi may be required to make a breadth determination.)