If you decide to take a leave of absence from your studies at the end of a semester, no action is required other than to cancel your registration for the upcoming term via Tele-BEARS before instruction begins. However, if you need to terminate your studies during a semester, it is important to meet a College Adviser to formally withdraw. Failure to file for withdrawal will result in the assignment of F or NP grades in all courses for the semester.

After any break in enrollment in a regular semester, you will need to apply for readmission when you are ready to return. If you plan to attend another institution while you are away, be sure to talk to a College Adviser about how it will affect your overall academic plan.

Summer Sessions procedures for withdrawal are under revision and will be posted on this site when available.

Guidelines for Withdrawal

  • Although it is possible to withdraw at any point in the semester, you must do so by the end of service hours on the last day of instruction.
  • The withdrawal date will appear on the transcript, and all courses for the term will be removed. The reason for withdrawal is confidential and does not appear on the transcript.
  • If you withdraw after the eighth week of the semester, you will be subject to the semester-out policy. Under the policy, you will be required to stay out the following semester. The purpose of semester out is to ensure that you will have time to resolve any issues that made a late withdrawal necessary. A College Adviser may waive the semester-out policy depending on the nature of the circumstances that contributed to the withdrawal.
  • Fee reductions for withdrawal are prorated on a sliding scale.

Newly Admitted Students

Cancelling your registration instead of withdrawing will result in a cancellation of your admission to Berkeley. If you wish to return at a later date you would be subject to the application and selection process again. In order to avoid cancellation of admission students must register by paying at least the first fee installment and enrolling in at least one class. Once registered you are eligible to withdraw.