Class Schedules

Early planning will help you make enrollment decisions that will not only serve your long-range goals, but will also fulfill degree requirements. Many classes fill up early. Be sure to enroll during your Tele-BEARS appointment time in order to increase your chances of getting into the classes you request. All enrollment requests should be made by the end of the adjustment period.

If you have not enrolled in at least one class by the end of the third week, you will need to meet with a College Adviser to file for Late Enrollment and Registration.

Deadlines for Class Schedule Changes

These deadlines apply only to regular fall and spring semesters. Summer Sessions procedures for enrollment changes are under revision and will be posted on this site when available.

Deadline Date Type of Schedule Change
Friday – Week two of instruction
Friday – Week five of instruction
  • Drop courses (except EDD courses)
  • Add courses
  • Change unit value for variable unit courses
Friday – Week ten of instruction
  • Change grading option

Guidelines for Class Schedules

  • Have a course plan ready for each coming semester before the beginning of the Tele-BEARS enrollment cycle and finalize your schedule as much as possible by the end of Phase II of Tele-BEARS.
  • Confirm all enrollment transactions and print a copy of the confirmation screen for your records.
  • If you are receiving financial aid, check with the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to make sure that your class schedule will also meet their requirements.

Minimum Unit Requirement

In general, a normal course load is 15 units of course work per semester. The College requires all students to take a minimum of 13 units each semester, except in cases where the dean has approved a course load with fewer units.

Requesting Approval to Enroll in Fewer than 13 Units

Under certain circumstances (see below), you can obtain approval for a class schedule of fewer than 13 units by written petition. Petitions for a lowered course load must be submitted during the first five weeks of the semester to the Office of Undergraduate Advising, 206 Evans Hall.

For circumstances not listed below, individual requests for reduced class schedules are considered on a case-by-case basis. If you have a medical, personal, or family problem that might affect your ability to complete a full semester load, meet a College Adviser as soon as possible to discuss the best course of action.

Your Situation How to Apply
Paid Employment (minimum 15 hours/week, number of units required prorated to hours worked) Submit completed petition – "Employment Verification for a Reduced Course Load"
Disabled Students Program Recommendation (units as recommended by DSP) Submit DSP recommendation letter
Parenthood (minimum course load – two academic courses, at least 3 units each) Submit petition "Reduced Course Load Due to Parenthood"
Graduating Senior (minimum one course, or number of units required to graduate) Visit 206 Evans Hall to confirm degree candidacy and process request
Major Honors Program (minimum 8 units) Submit departmental verification of major honors status

Requesting Approval to Enroll in More Than 20.5 Units

  • Undeclared students – see a College Adviser to request an approval for additional units. (Note: In most cases, approvals are granted only for those students whose record demonstrates a history of strong academic performance with full course loads.)
  • Declared students – meet your undergraduate major adviser.

Late Class Schedule Changes

Changes to class schedules after a deadline has passed are subject to review. If you need to request a late class schedule change, meet a College Adviser as soon as possible.

For directions on submitting a request for a late schedule change, see the Request for Exceptional Change of Class Schedule.

Note: All late class schedule change requests must be made before the last day of RRR week – requests made after that time will not be considered.