Off Campus Programs

Education Abroad Program (EAP)

Students who are considering study abroad should see Berkeley Study Abroad (BSA) for detailed instructions. Participants in the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) need to make careful plans for future enrollments after return from EAP in order to ensure that their time away from Berkeley will not interfere with the senior residence requirement or delay progress toward degree.

Guidelines for Students in L&S

In addition to the general guidelines for eligibility for EAP described in the BSA website, students in Letters and Science who plan to study abroad through EAP, either in the full year or the semester program, are required to follow the additional guidelines below.

With 55 units or fewer completed

  • Participants must have completed at least 30 units of college coursework (not counting units earned through Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, or other high school enrichment programs).
  • Participants must either have declared a major or demonstrate the ability to declare a major by the beginning of the junior year, or within one semester after returning from EAP.
  • Completion of the Reading and Composition requirement is required.

With more than 55 units completed

  • Participants must have declared a major at least two weeks prior to the program start date.
  • Completion of the Reading and Composition requirement is required.

All L&S students who wish to participate in EAP must have completed at least one semester at Berkeley.

If you are a transfer student, if you plan to apply for a double major, or if you will have completed 90 or more units after EAP, we suggest you schedule an advising appointment.

Independent Study Abroad

Study abroad course work from non-EAP programs is subject to the same rules and procedures as any transfer work. Visit Berkeley Programs for Study Abroad for more information.

University of California Berkeley Washington Program

The University of California Berkeley Washington Program (UCDC) provides a unique opportunity for undergraduates from all majors to spend a semester (Fall or Spring) in Washington, D.C. pursuing full-time course work and an internship in their selected field. Applicants must be in good standing within their Colleges, have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and have achieved junior status (60 units) by the time their semester in Washington commences. Preference is given to students who have completed at least 30 credits on the Berkeley campus. All program participants must reside at the UC Washington Center for the duration of the semester.

Cross Registration Agreements

Information on Cross-registration agreements with local schools is available through the Office of the Registrar.

Intercampus Visitor Program

The Intercampus Visitor Program allows undergraduates enrolled on one UC campus to apply to another as an intercampus visitor for one term. Permission to participate in this program is granted on a very limited basis and only for valid academic reasons. Apply at the Office of the Registrar's link, 120 Sproul Hall.