Students who have a strong interest in an area of study outside their major often decide to complete a minor program. The College has designated certain programs as official L&S minors. These programs have set requirements and are noted officially on the transcript in the memoranda section. Minor programs are not noted on diplomas.
Guidelines for Minors Offered by L&S
- L&S minor programs require a minimum of five letter-graded upper division courses, three of which must be taken at Berkeley.
- No more than one upper division course may be included in both a student's minor and major program (see special rules for non-L&S minors below).
- Courses required for minor programs may be applied to the L&S Seven Course Breadth requirement.
- A minimum 2.0 grade point average is required for courses included in minor programs.
- All major and minor requirements must be completed by the last day of finals of the semester you graduate. If you cannot finish all courses required for your minor by that time, see a College adviser. In order to be eligible to have a notation of the minor placed on your transcript. you will need to remove yourself from that degree list and plan to graduate only after the minor course work has been completed.
- You will need to complete your program within the unit ceiling.
- After you finish all the requirements for your minor, submit a petition for Completion of L&S Minor.
- Completion of a minor program is posted on the transcript as an item in the memoranda column.
Guidelines for Minors Offered Outside of L&S
- L&S students may pursue minors in groups, schools and colleges outside L&S.
- Programs include at least four courses (lower or upper division) not required by the student's major.
- Obtain a minor completion form from the school or college offering the minor, fill it out, and return it to the minor advisor.