Declaring a Major
- Declaring an academic major should be your number one schedule planning priority.
- To declare your major, review the department website for major declaration guidelines and visit the major department as soon as possible. Bring an updated copy of your Berkeley transcript and/or copies of transcripts (unofficial is OK) showing courses taken at other institutions.
- To declare a major in the College of Letters and Science, you must complete most of the lower division prerequisite courses specified by your intended major department.
- You should enroll in two or more courses for your major or intended major during your first semester. This will ensure that you are making appropriate academic progress.
- If you are interested in changing your major, visit the undergraduate major adviser (UMA) and an L&S College Adviser immediately to discuss your plans.
- Always take major prerequisites and upper division courses for a letter grade unless the major department tells you otherwise.